These challenges keep on happening between my wife and me . Due to reasons unknown to myself I had a breakup with Bananas as an edible substance since my teens . Like every teenage breakup, this also soon became a folklore in the family with the parents being worst affected and no amount of cajoling , counselling , rebuking and incentive was enough to reconcile the relationship .
They say time is the best healer and with time this relationship and break up was packed off to the darkest corner of my cupboard until my wife who is an avid banana lover dug out the skeleton on one fine day . Hence the fun started . An endless struggle for a happy reconciliation with an omnipresence in all meals in various forms, all went in vain .
When the hope was almost lost the miracle happened . One evening this was served for the final time and the trick was I needed to have first few bites blindfoldedly . On a wednesday when you are pulling up through a bad workweek you dare say no to such things , neither did I .
And they lived happily ever after ….
For Banana Bread – Over ripe bananas – 3 , Flour – 1 and 3/4 Cup , Butter – 125 grams , Caster Sugar – 1 Cup , Eggs – 2 Nos , Baking Soda – 1 tsp , Pinch of Salt
For the Butter Cream – Butter – 1/2 Cup , Icing Sugar – 1/2 Cup , Maple Syrup – 1 and 1/2 tbsp
For Garnish – 1 Firm Banana
Method for Banana bread –
1. Cream together butter and Sugar till its light and smooth
2. Then add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy
3 . Fold in mashed ripe bananas
4. Sieve the flour along with baking soda and pinch of salt and fold into the batter gently This will be of lumpy consistency
5. Pour the batter into a prepared 8 inch cake tin and bake in a preheated 180 degree oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Method for Maple Butter Cream
1. Cream all 3 ingredients until it is light and smooth and make sure there are no lumps . One may adjust the amount of sugar and maple syrup as per the taste and consistency of the butter cream
Method for Garnish
1 . Dice the bananas into small cubes and lightly fry them in 1 tbsp of butter
For decorating cut a square of a banana bread on a plate , top it with a quenelle of maple butter cream , scatter some fried banans around it and drizzle some of the leftover butter from the Pan over the cake and the bananas .
Voila the exotic beauty is ready to be explored …