Cold Crab Salad and how I started liking salads
I have never been a salad person neither have I been a connoisseur of salads, till such time I met Madhushree. Growing up, I have had salads on a daily basis. If neatly plated sliced cucumber, onions, tomatoes and carrots on a daily basis and capsicums in winter can be called a salad, then yes, I have had them everyday.
Salad as per dictionary definition means – a cold dish of various mixtures of raw or cooked vegetables, usually seasoned with oil, vinegar, or other dressing and sometimes accompanied by meat, fish, or other ingredients.
A salad can easily be an appetizer , a side dish , a main course and as well as a dessert . It all depends on when the salad is served and what salad is served .
Madhushree has been a fan of salads and like many things else, I also started liking salads slowly. Its not that I still don’t have a mind block of the fact that unless the spices and oils are doing passionate dance on your taste buds, its not a complete meal.
I recently attended an invitation by Casa Kitchen on their summer menu and the cool salads and sandwiches . Although vegetarian, this left a lasting impression on me . I made the mistake of getting a little overboard in praising them at home – Madhushree had to offer this to me :-)
Cold Crab Salad in Cucumber Boats
Time Taken: 15- 20 minutes
|Cooked Crab Meat||500 gms||Mayonnaise||4 heaped tsps|
|Spring Onion||3-4||Tomato Ketchup||2 tsp|
|Yellow Bell Pepper||½||Kasundi (or mustard paste)||1 ½ tsp|
|Tomatoes||2 small ones||Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||A small bunch||Salt||For Seasoning|
|Cucumber||4 large||Black Pepper||For Seasoning|
- To make the filling, in a bowl, take the cooked crab meat, chopped spring onion, chopped tomatoes, chopped yellow bell pepper and chopped coriander leaves.
- Add the mayonnaise, ketchup and kasundi (it’s a spicy Bengali mustard paste). If you don’t have kasundi then substitute it with any other mustard paste.
- Add ½ a tsp of chili powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix it all up properly, cover it and chill it in the refrigerator.
- While your crab filling is chilling in the refrigerator, you can prepare the cucumber boats.
- First peel the cucumbers and cut them length wise in half.
- Then with each half, cut into 2 or three pieces depending on the length of the boat you want.
- So each cucumber would yield either 4 or 6 boats.
- Then with a spoon, scoop out the seeds so that the cucumbers have a cavity and they resemble boats.
- Just before serving, spoon in the crab filling and sprinkle some red chili powder on top.
Sending to KFB Summer Bash