The first time I had baked a carrot cake was eons ago, sometime in the late 90s. It came up in the blog in December 2015. Tugga was almost 4 and wanted a Christmas party at home. We had 4 reindeers over for that Christmas party and Anindya had written all about it here . I still remember how Tugga used to love listening to Rudolf the red nosed reindeer song while eating and hearing Christmas stories while going to bed.
It’s 3 years since then and we have a new inclusion in the family. I just realised that we don’t speak much about Brishti. Eventually I am sure, when she grows up a bit, we will have more to talk about her in our blog. Tugga is now in class 1 with specific likes and dislikes about his food. Since the time he has seen red carrots entering the kitchen, he has been asking me to bake carrot cake. This year, I thought we should re shoot the cake.
While the recipe remains the same, it is important that I pass on some tips about how to make carrot cake. These tips will be handy for you if you are making this for the first time – In case you bake the cake after reading this, please let me know or tag me in Instagram, I would like to share that with everyone
1. Most importantly, this cake comes out best with the sweet red carrots which we get in winters.
2. The carrrots need to be grated (a mid size grating would do).
3. When you measure 3 cups of grated carrots, do not pack the carrots tightly in the cups. It needs to be packed loosely.
4. The measurement here is for a nine inch cake. You can break that in two small 6 inch ones also. Or alternately, you could pour the batter in a 7 inch cake tin and the rest of the batter in mini cupcakes.
5. The same recipe is used for cup cakes too. Only the baking time changes with cup cakes. It takes less time.
6. The cream cheese frosting is optional. Of course, it makes the cake dessert worthy with the cream cheese frosting.
7. It is one of those cakes which taste great straight out of the refrigerator too. The carrots keep the cake completely moist.
Add this recipe to Yummly ? – Yum
Pin this to bake later
Carrot Cake once again but with new pictures
A beautifully moist cake with grated carrots. This needs to be made with the sweet red carrots which we get during winters. Recipe Author: Madhushree
For the Cake
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Caster sugar
- 1 cup Any vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3 nos Eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts optional
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp Milk
- 4 cups Icing Sugar
Baking the Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs using an electric hand mixer or with a whisk for about two minutes. Then add the sugar and the oil and whisk till light and frothy.
- Using a seive, add the flour with the baking soda, salt and the cinnamon powder. Using a spatula, gently fold the flour in the egg batter.
- Then pour in the vanilla essense and the shredded carrots and fold thoroughly till the carrots have beautifully incorporated with the batter. Finally, if you want to add walnuts, then dust the chopped walnuts with a tbsp of flour and add to the batter and fold in using your spatula.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 9 inch cake tin. Do line in the bottom of your cake tin with parchment paper, since the baking time is a bit longer and there are chances of the bottom burning.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or more till the cake is done. Insert a skewer in the centre of the cake to check if the skewer comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, take it out and place on a wire rack to cool down the cake.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the butter with the cream cheese. Slowly keep adding the icing sugar one tbsp at a time and continue whisking till you get a nice, smooth frosting which will hold if frosted.
Assembling the cake
- Once the cake has cooled down, using a knife, cut the cake into half horizontally. You can skip this and add frosting only on top if you wish to. Also cut the top dome part so that frosting can be spread evenly on top.
- Apply one third of the frosting and place the top on the frosting. Then using a spatula, apply frosting on the top and the sides and sprinkle chopped walnuts to garnish the cake.