With great fear and hesitance I proposed Lemongrass iced tea to replace my Mother’s morning cup of hot tea – and she didn’t agree
This is perhaps, the only time of the year when an ardent tea lover, also thinks twice before sipping a cup of tea. Kolkata is boiling right now. No signs of mercury giving any respite. It’s scaling new height every week, like a champion beating his own record. As many would say, the problem is not with temperature but the humidity and the real feel.
Keep yourself hydrated with lemongrass iced tea with ginger
In these conditions, it’s important that one maintains the necessary fluid intake in various forms. During my schooling, throughout summer, Ma would give me a glass of Glucon – C or D from the refrigerator when I returned from school. Occasionally, there used to be lemon juice or water melon juice. Kissan fruit squash was only on Sundays. As it was a luxury, Baba used to bring one bottle for the summer and it used to last through the season. Soon Rasna became a household name. Thumps Up was a rare luxury and unavailable everywhere. Sanjana aka Aishwarya Rai Bachhan was yet to ask Aamir khan – Got another Pepsi? Soon the economy opened up and the artificial thirst quenchers started crowding the market.
Here are some more refreshing thirst quenchers which can help you –
For summers Date and Mango Smoothie is a perfect choice
We used to have a lot of Bael Panna while growing up
Watermelon juices in various forms are so refreshing for summers
It was later, that I realised that there is something called Beer. I had no idea what a great thirst quencher it was and a gateway to many special moments. I think these days, my return journey will start soon with Tugga growing up. And I will end up from where I had begun … Glucon C or Glucon D. Ma and her grandson both couldn’t resist when Madhushree and I were sipping the lemongrass iced tea with ginger. The senior, while having from the glass, gave a satisfying and happy node, the junior being possessive about his sipper, gave a very disapproving look. He will also go through the journey of his thirst quenchers soon.
Share your cooking with us
Are you following us on our youtube channel Cook with Pikturenama? Pls subscribe.
Do try this recipe and share your feedback. You can reach out to us at our social media handles: Instagram, Facebook or any of our personal Facebook (Madhushree and Anindya) and twitter profiles. Post a picture and tag us.
Pin this on your recipe board? You can find some awesome recipes at Pikturenama recipes in Pinterest
Lemongrass Iced Tea with Ginger
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 4-5 tea bags preferably leaf tea (see notes)
- 2 -3 tbsp sugar see notes
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 6 cups water
- 2-3 lemon wedges for garnish
- The first thing you need to do is the brew the tea. Take about 4 cups of water and brew the tea. Basically, boil the water and then put in the tea bags. Turn off the heat and cover the pan.
- If you are using normal tea and not tea bags, then use about 4 tsp of tea and let it steep.
- Let it steep for a longer period of time than usual. I prefer about 7- 10 minutes. Then discard the tea bags and keep the tea aside.
- Once you are done with the brewing, take another pan and put in 2 cups of water, along with sugar and chopped ginger. Also add the lemon grass. Only the white stalk of the lemon grass should be used. Cut then into small pieces and smash a little bit with the knife to enhance the flavor.
- Let this boil for about 2 -3 minutes and then let it steep in medium to low heat for about half hour. Cover the pan while doing it or else the liquid will reduce.
- Once you get the full flavor and aroma of the lemon grass and ginger, add the tea to the mix. Give it one good boil and then turn off the heat.
- Let the tea cool down and the flavor of the lemon grass and ginger infuse properly.
- Once completely cool, strain the liquid and discard the lemon grass and ginger bits. You can use the leftover ginger in any of your cooking.
- Make sure to taste and adjust the quantity of sugar as per your taste.
- Then pour in a jar or a bottle and keep it in the refrigerator to chill. I feel, overnight it gives a full bodied flavor.
- Serve chilled in a tall glass with lots of ice cubes. Garnish with lemon wedges for an added zing.