Come October, kids everywhere go berserk over Halloween treats. Perhaps it has to do with all the youtube videos that they consume, they feel that Halloween is part of our tradition. But when it’s something fun and good, does it really matter whether it’s an Indian tradition or not? We’ve been making Halloween treats since 2017, from when Tugga started demanding. Now it has become our family tradition as well. This year, Tugga decided to make a few treats himself and pumpkin cupcakes are one of them.
Whole-wheat pumpkin cupcakes are healthy
If you minus the frosting, this is quite a healthy cupcake recipe. Pumpkins are filled with antioxidants and are a great source of minerals and vitamins. Pumpkins are also incredibly low in calories, hence good for weight loss. The recipe uses raw unrefined sugar. You can use molasses as well. There is the option of making this with all-purpose flour or completely whole-wheat flour. You can choose to do half and half of whole-wheat and ap flour.
Elevate your brand with Pikturenama Studios’ professional food photography. BEHANCE
Halloween decoration for pumpkin cupcakes
There are many ways to decorate pumpkin cupcakes for Halloween. With pumpkin, I think cream cheese frosting works the best. I had a tub of mascarpone cream cheese, so I used that. You can use oreo cookies to make spider Halloween cupcakes. Or, you can use googly eyes to make monsters out of them. You can top them with wiggly jelly bean worms. There are a million ways to make them cute or creepy. My kids loved decorating the pumpkin cupcakes.
You can check out our professional work portfolio here and our Behance profile here
Here’s another pumpkin recipe for fall or Halloween- pumpkin and prawn hand pie
Share your cooking with us
Are you following us on our youtube channel Cook with Pikturenama? If not, then please subscribe.
Do try this recipe and share your feedback. You can reach out to us at our social media handles: Instagram, Facebook or any of our personal Facebook (Madhushree and Anindya) and Twitter profiles. Post a picture and tag us.
Pin this for your recipe board? You can follow us on Pikturenama recipes for more recipe ideas (Link)
Pumpkin Cupcakes for Halloween
For the Pumpkin Cupcakes
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour See notes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp gingerbread powder or cake spice see notes
- 2 nos eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup Vegetable oil preferably odourless
- 1 cup muscavado light brown sugar see notes
- 1 cup thick pumpkin puree made with 1 kg pumpkin
- ¼ tsp Vanilla extract
For the frosting and decorations
- 250 gms mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup optional
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- oreo cookies for decoration
- green, orange and brown food colour
- googly eyes
- Cut the pumpkin into small pieces without the skin Wash them thoroughly under running water. Then rub very little olive oil and roast the pumpkins in the oven till they are soft. Alternately, you can steam the pumpkins over the gas stove too. However, roasting gives it a better flavour.
- Once the pumpkin has cooked and become soft, blend and keep the puree aside.
- In a mixing bowl, take oil and sugar and whisk for a couple of minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one and whisk untill well incorporated.
- Then add the pumpkin puree and mix that thoroughly.
- Finally, sieve in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Using a spatula, fold in the flour with the eggs and make a smooth batter. Add the vanilla too.
- Line a cupcake tray with muffin liners. Pour in the batter into each. This makes about 9 cupcakes.
- Put the tray in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the cakes has baked completely. Use a skewer in the centre of one cupcake to check if it is done.
- Take the cupcakes out and cool them down.
- For the frosting, whisk the mascarpone cream and the whipping cream till the volume has increased. Then add maple syrup, add icing sugar little by little and keep whisking using a stand mixer or an electric hand blender.
- Divide the mixture into three bowls and take a small quantity of the fourth portion in another bowl.
- Add orange colour and green colour in two. Leave one as it is. And to the fourth, smaller quantity, add brown colour for the spider's legs.
- Transfer these to piping bags and top each cupcake with different colours in any shape you want.
- Add googly eyes for the monster ones.
- Make spider legs with brown frosting and place half an oreo on top for the spider body. Stick googly eyes with little frosting over the oreo cookies.
- You can choose to bake this cake with 1 cup of all-purpose flour or 1 cup of whole wheat flour or do a half n half as I did.
- If you don't have gingerbread spice, you can use half tsp of nutmeg powder and half tsp of ginger powder.
- You can use any brown sugar, coconut sugar or unrefined sugar for this.