Why the Sweet Corn Soup ?
The weather is somewhat in between breezy and sultry in the evenings. Most of the time, it calls for a roasted sweet corn. There is a guy who sits just outside our apartment and roasts ‘bhutta’ in the evening. With him though, you get only the desi corn variety which is very different from the American sweet corn. The size of the corn kernel in the desi one itself is smaller. We often bring bhutta from him and the entire family enjoys munching on some juicy corn in the evenings.
For a mother of a six year old, my challenge every day is to plan for an evening snack. Tugga, being a ‘lover of food’ (gone after his parents), needs a different snack every evening. A couple of weeks back when my Man Friday Ashok had gone on leave, I was left with no choice but to order every possible ingredient from an online grocer to take care of the family’s varied need for food (I call it varied since everyone wants something different!!) In that order, 2 corn cobs came in as well. And my oh my, they were so dry.
These instant Ragi Paniyaram can be a nice healthy breakfast and snack too. Recipe here. (Link)
Ways to deal with dried corn cobs
What do you do with almost dried corn cobs? I realised I couldn’t roast them. They would be inedible. So, I put them in the pressure cooker with some water to boil them. After several minutes of cooking, that did not work either. The corns were still not soft enough. What was the only other thing that I could do? Soup!! And I had my wonderchef automatic soup maker (Check out) to do the deed. I also always have some frozen vegetable packet in the freezer for quick fixes. I added these to the corn and the sweet corn soup turned out to be great without much effort.
Do you love your Soup ? Then try out the mixed vegetable soup recipe. (Link)
Share your views / Follow us
Do try this recipe and share your feedback. You can reach out to us at our social media handles: Instagram, Facebook or any of our personal Facebook (Madhushree and Anindya) and twitter profiles. Post a picture and tag us.
Pin this for your recipe board? You can follow us on Pikturenama recipes for more recipe ideas (Link)
- 2 nos medium sized corn cobs
- 4 tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 1 cup mixed vegetables carrots, peas, beans and cauliflower roughly chopped into small cubes
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper for garnish
- salt as required
- 1.6 ltrs water
- 1 tbsp fresh cream for garnish
- For making this in the automatic soup maker, you just have to put all the ingredients in the soup maker together (except the corn flour, fresh cream and balck pepper) and turn it on the blended soup mode.
- In the meanwhile, make a slurry of the corn flour with little bit of water and after 20 minutes when the soup is done, remove the lid and pour in the slurry. Turn on the soup make for another 10 minutes on the same mode.
- After that switch it off and garnish with fresh cream and crushed black pepper and serve with some warm bread.
- If you do not have an automatic soup maker, then you need to boil the sweet corn and the mixed vegetables first in a pressure cooker with some water. Then you have to blend it. Finally in a pan, add some butter and cook the blended puree with the vegetable broth powder for sometime till all the raw smell goes off. Then add the corn flour slurry and give it one boil to thicken. The quantity of the water that you put in the pan depends on the thickness of the soup that you want. garnish with black pepper and fresh cream and serve.