Come March, social media feeds flood with Holi recipes. From Mawa Gujiya to dahi bhallas, thandai cakes, malpuas and so on tantalise our taste buds. However, it is Thandai that is the original gangsta of Holi recipes. No Holi is complete without a good homemade thandai. And this is the best recipe ever.
Make your own thandai paste or powder beforehand and store it
You really don’t have to worry last minute about not having purchased your thandai premix. You can easily make it at home a couple of days in advance and store it in the refrigerator for use whenever you want to. Thandai powder lasts a little longer than the paste, however, I find it easier to make the paste.
The ingredients needed are poppy seeds, fennel seeds, melon seeds (char magaj), whole black pepper, dried rose petals or rose water, almonds, cashews, saffron and sugar. Of course, to make thandai, you will need really good quality whole milk.
To make a powder, you have to grind all the ingredients into a fine powder (minus the milk) and store it in an airtight jar for a couple of weeks. If you keep it in the refrigerator, it will stay well over a month. To make a paste, soak the ingredients minus the sugar in a cup of water for an hour. Then add the sugar and grind into a paste. Add a little more water if required. Store this paste in a glass container in the refrigerator and use it as needed. It stays well for a month in the refrigerator.
Brishti loves to get clicked and came in as the sweetest photobomber while we were shooting this –
Have you tried making Thandai Kulfi at home? Try this easy recipe- Link
Do try this recipe and share your feedback. You can reach out to us at our social media handles Instagram, Facebook or any of our personal Facebook (Madhushree and Anindya) and Twitter profiles. Post a picture and tag us.
Here is a glimpse of how you can make the thandai – https://www.instagram.com/p/CbJpz6mFpAJ/
You can check out some more recipes in our youtube channel – Cook with Pikturenama. have you subscribed to it yet?
Pin this on your recipe board? You can find some awesome recipes at Pikturenama recipes in Pinterest. Here is an idea pin we had created for the same. You may want to check it out –
Thandai recipe from scratch
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds khus khus
- 2 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 1 ½ tbsp melon seeds char magaj
- 1 tbsp rose petals or 1 tsp rose water
- ¼ cup almonds
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 pinch saffron
- ½ cup sugar
- Milk as required
- Take all the ingredients, except sugar and milk and soak them with one cup of water for an hour.
- After an hour, add the sugar to this and grind into a paste using more water, if needed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Whenever you want to make thandai, take a glass of chilled milk and add thandai paste as per taste, stir and top with more nuts if you want before serving.
- If you want to make a powder, then no need to soak. Just take all the ingredients except milk and grind them into a fine powder. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for over a month.
- Use with milk as necessary.