The summer heat is literally killing. Cooking has become an impossible task. To top that, we have to plan our meals and finish grocery shopping by 10 AM. Lockdown restrictions have the market open from 7 to 10 in the morning. Being a late riser, it’s always a disadvantage for me. Naturally, we end up with minimal and easy-to-cook options for lunch and dinner. Lemon rice comes in real handy when you want to make something quick. Pair it with some chutney or a quick chicken stir fry like an Andhra pepper chicken and you are good to go.
You can check out some more recipes in our youtube channel – Cook with Pikturenama. have you subscribed to it yet?
Lemon rice is easy to make and is a quick recipe
From what I gather, lemon rice varies from home to home. I collected my recipe from a colleague of mine from Mafoi, where I used to work eons ago. In one of the lunch breaks, she shared her lemon rice with me and I was literally wooed by the taste and the flavours. Since then, it has become quite a regular feature at home. You can also try this lemon rice with mutton liver masala.
Let your food speak for itself with Pikturenama Studios’ stunning photography. BEHANCE
I use chana dal ( Bengal gram) and urad dal ( black gram without skin) for this recipe. In a kadai, heat oil and temper with mustard seeds and kurry leaves. Keep the heat to a medium and quickly add chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida, chopped ginger and peanuts. Keep roasting till you get a nice fragrance and then add the cooked rice. Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder. Now stir fry the rice with all the spices till there is not raw smell of turmeric. Drizzle some ghee if you want to. Add chopped green chilies and lemon juice. Give it a nice stir and turn off the heat.
Share your cooking with us
Are you following us on our youtube channel Cook with Pikturenama?
Do try this recipe and share your feedback. You can also reach out to us at our social media handles Instagram, Facebook or any of our personal Facebook (Madhushree & Anindya) & Twitter profiles. Please post a picture and tag us.
Pin this for your recipe board? You can follow us on Pikturenama recipes for more recipe ideas (Link)
- 2 cups cooked rice leftover rice from the fridge works the best
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp urad dal Black gram without skin
- 1 tsp chana dala Bengal gram split
- 1 tsp black mustard
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp ghee optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green chilies optional
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- pinch of asafoetida heeng
- salt to taste
- In a kadai, heat oil and temper with mustard seeds and kurry leaves.
- Keep the heat to a medium and quickly add chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida, chopped ginger and peanuts.
- Keep roasting till you get a nice fragrance and then add the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder. Now stir fry the rice with all the spices till there is not raw smell of turmeric.
- Drizzle some ghee if you want to. Add chopped green chillies and lemon juice.
- Give it a nice stir and turn off the heat. Serve immediately